This translation prize honors the life and work of award-winning poet and translator Malinda A. Markham. The award is generously funded by Jennifer S. Epstein.
$2000 and publication by Saturnalia Books
1. Manuscript must be a translation by a female translator of a female poet. Female is interpreted as anyone who identifies as female.
2. Manuscript must be an original collection of poetry from one author in any language translated into English. This includes single collections as well as selected works. In the case of a selected collection please ensure that an identical one does not already exist in English.
3. Manuscript must be at least 48 pages in length (not including foreword material).
4. The translator’s name must not appear in the manuscript, including any front material.
5. The name of the original poet must be included on cover page.
6. Manuscript must include an acknowledgments page, if applicable.
7. Please do not include any foreword or afterword at this time. The winner will have the opportunity to work with Saturnalia Books’ editors on this material during the editing process.
8. Online fee is $25. No refunds will be given to any withdrawn manuscripts.
9. Translator must have written permission from either the original poet or their estate.
10. Contest winner will be announced on the Saturnalia Books website and via email. Please do not contact Saturnalia Books regarding your submission status before January 1.
11. By submitting to the contest, you agree to be added to Saturnalia Books’ email list.
12. Submissions will only be accepted electronically.
13. The winning manuscript will be chosen by Saturnalia Books’ editors. Saturnalia Books editors’ also reserve the right not to select a manuscript.
14. Submissions will be accepted annually from September 25-October 31.